Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Assignment #5

When I was in junior high school, I learned about Google syntax. I only remember about the + operator which Google has eliminated. It is so helpful for searching exact words. Google sometimes bothers me because it searches words separately, so I need to use this operator. This + operator usage is changed by quotation marks (" ").


This week, I was taught about using *(an asterisk character) which is known as a wildcard, to match one or more words in a phrase. Each * represents just one or more words. Google treats the * as a placeholder for a word or more than one word. For example, [ “Google * my life“ ] tells Google to find pages containing [..] which word changes *. This is beneficial when I don't know or I forgot about matching words inside a sentence.

Furthermore, Google syntax, such as:
  • site: restrict results to a certain website or domain
  • related: find similar or related pages
  • filetype: find only specific files
For example, you can search about President Obama in CNN, so you can type
"President Obama" site:cnn.com
In my opinion, this Google syntax help me to find easily and exactly what I hope for. 

1 comment: